Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Desert Dreams







Desert Dreams, acrylic on panel, 9"x12" 2018 


Deserts are a mysterious landscape to me. After spending most of my adult life
living in the cool moist environment of the pacific northwest, I moved to the high elevation cold desert of central Oregon twelve years ago. Even after these twelve years I feel like a newcomer in this alien and magical ecosystem. More mysterious to me still are the hot deserts of the Southwestern United States.

In the last few years I have traveled to Arizona and New Mexico and hiked in these fascinating deserts, which seem both harsh and welcoming. A habitat both beautiful and deadly. Flora and fauna of deserts must be perfectly attune to there world in order to survive.  When I am lucky enough to be hiking in a desert I am aware of the tranquility of the place, everything has a part to play, plants, animals, predator and prey all dancing the desert dream together.

No comments:

Post a Comment